Monday, October 26, 2009

Here goes something!

So I started this blog on August 26th, 2009 and have written 2 entries: one on how starting to write is the hardest part and then a sort of retraction of that idea about how continuing is actually the hardest part. Today is Monday, October 26th, exactly 2 months since I started the thing and 49 days since I last blogged.

All of this leads to one inevitable conclusion: I should write a book.

J

Oops – edit number 1 – let me rephrase that, since I am attempting to stike the word “should” from my vocabulary: I am writing a book.

(OMG. Did I just say that out loud??? Phew, I only wrote it. Yikes.)

So I need help.

Ah, finally something that makes sense to you, huh?! (Especially if you’re in the field of counseling or psychotherapy.)

But what I mean is I want your help. See, this book is going to take shape publicly. Yep. I’m going to blog it into being.

My brain works in chapters sometimes. I’ll be brushing my teeth – one of my favorite activities (you should all get a Sonic Care toothbrush, btw – damn it, I just said “should” again) when my brain will start typing into thin air a fantastic narrative.

Problem is by the time the 2 minute auto timer on my Sonic Care goes off I’ve moved on from the chapter to thoughts of how my “freckles” look more and more like age spots and where I’m going to come up with the money for laser resurfacing and how much it will probably hurt or how weird I’ll look during the process.

So, my idea is, if I have a format where I can jump online and quickly type out the idea before it’s dethroned by the next, I can move on to my vain musings with much less guilt and maybe even with something to show for it.

Thus the blog.

And with blogs being the cooking show of our now collaborative digital life soup it’s the perfect spot to start chopping and tossing ingredients into the pot.

So there you have it.

You’re invited into my kitchen to taste, comment and maybe even toss a few of your own spices into the mix.

One warning – participate at your own risk! I don’t always think in any type of order (as if you haven’t already noticed that) and you may find yourself or someone you know and love on the pages. I will probably change the names of people in my stories when I feel that their privacy may be better served that way but it may be possible for some of you more astute individuals to unravel the stories and characters regardless.

So I apologize ahead of time.

Just keep in mind, cooking, like life, is messy. But without the mess the soup is usually pretty bland.

The water’s hot but once it’s soup it sure feels good going down!

So are you in????

8 comments:

  1. Don't get rid of your freckles. I LOVE your freckles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get my writing ideas not far from the Sonic Care toothbrush. No, not the potty!! The shower. Seriously, the best inspiration. I have to grab a towel and type quickly or it all leaves me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a feeling that I'm "in" like it or not - and it probably won't be too hard to unravel my contribution to the story... However, I do feel it's only fair to state up front that my role in these stories are only your perception of reality and that there may be other perfectly rational interpretations of events that you unfold for your readers. I suppose that providing those explanations would require me to write my own story in which my readers could unravel your contribution - Kind of like "He Said/She Said". Might be kind of fun, but I'll wait until after your book is published to throw my 2 cents in. In the mean time, I'll just roll with the punches - and cheer from the sidelines!
    Love Ya!
    pd

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heck yes I'm in and I completely tracked with you on the whole soup,freckle,money,toothbrush timer thing...makes sense to me! Please tell Pat that a wise person who I once worked for in a church (in the city of Suwanee and in the state of Georgia) who moved to another state (that I will not mention out of respect to this persons identity) once told me "what is perceived is what is achieved." I think this person saw it on a tshirt one day and liked it so much he/she/it repeated it over and over to get it in his/her/it's head. Not sure if it worked or not but if it is true that "what is perceived is what is achieved" then it is also true "that other perfectly rational interpretations of events that you unfold for your readers" will be the truth, the only truth and nothing but the truth - or something like that!
    Love you!!! Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great comments, guys!
    You make me laugh!
    thanks!!!!
    s

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the online blog book is an awesome idea! Especially because we can submit story ideas about people(who shall remain nameless) that like to put on pink bunny sleeper outfits,(with footies I might add) in order cheer up their rather incompassitated spouse. Only this left their younger and rather impressionable sibling with horrid visions that will last a lifetime. And who, to this day, cannot look at sleeper pijama's the same way. They are so traumatized that everynight when they dress their children for bed they are constantly bombarded by innapropriate images of a man who is squeezed into a large blanket of pink fuzziness with a round white fluffy tail shaking vigerously as he hops and spins around in his delightful fancy. Oh, the agony of it all!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Judith!
    SO funny! I too was traumatized by that event!
    Thanks for the reminder!
    xoxo
    s

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pat - It sounds like you need to start your own blog for "the other side of the stories."

    ReplyDelete