Monday, January 4, 2010

Cheers!!! (And I'm not even holding a drink!!!)

I read an article today in a magazine I get from NGJ (No Greater Joy) Ministries. (You can find out more about them by going to www.nogreaterjoy.org if you want.)
The article was about child rearing.
That is a funny word combo isn't it?? I mean especially for me as a horse person. I just get this strange visual of children prancing around on their toes waving their arms up in front of their faces and whinnying wildly. Maybe it's just me.
Anyway... the article basically said that cheerfulness is the most important quality that a parent can have when they are raising children. (More strange visuals with that one.)
Hmmm.
Cheerfulness.
Wow!
I just imagined how different our home would be if we were cheerful in all our dealings with our kids. Not a fake giddiness, but a truly cheerful heart. I can't help but think that the dynamics would really shift.
It's easy to feel justified for getting worked up and putting on our intimidating parental faces and speaking with stern and sometimes demeaning tones. But really, does this produce the qualities in our children that we most want to see?
It often works to get their behavior in line but inside I don't think it produces much thankfulness and love. And as the article suggested, cheerfulness is the byproduct of thankfulness and love.
I don't know about you, but a home full of love, thankfulness and cheerful people sounds a lot better than what we sometimes experience on a daily basis!
I'm gonna try it.
I'm going to try to be cheerful.
I'm going to try to love and to be thankful, grateful.
I'll let you know how it goes.
But for now, "Cheers!" (And I'm not even holding a drink!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment